Last week I was making a couple of tweaks to a friends website when Visual Studio 2008 kept freezing on me. It would freeze every time I went to the code editor for a web page and the only way to recover would be by using Task Manager to kill the program.
After some searching, I found this post outlining how an install of Office 2010 on a 64-bit environment was the problem and corrupted the Visual Studio Web Authoring Component. The fix is pretty straight forward:
1. If an automatic upgrade was performed from Office 2007 (32-bit) to Office 2010 (32-bit) on a 64-bit OS:
- In Add/Remove Programs, locate "Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component"
- Right-click and select "Change"
- When a dialog opens, choose "Repair" option
2. If you manually uninstalled Office 2007 on a 64-bit OS:
- In Add/Remove Programs, uninstall "Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component"
- If you are using Visual Studio 2008:
- From the Visual Studio 2008 media, navigate into the WCU\WebDesignerCore folder and install WebDesignerCore.exe
- If you were upgraded to Visual Studio 2008 SP1, you must reinstall Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2008.
- If you are using Visual Web Developer Express:
- Uninstall and reinstall Visual Web Developer 2008 Express